Raw cat food is something that you as a cat parent must have heard. And you might have thought about whether it’s good for your cat or not as compared to the dry food.
When you look into the benefits, raw cat foods has a lot to offer from better skin to hair coat to fewer behavioral issues. Cats have been in the habit of having cooked food recently which means they can easily digest raw food. While many raw feeders claim that raw cat food has larger benefits, some are still not sure about raw foods as it might spread disease in cats.
With so many opinions doing rounds, it’s difficult to choose any one side. But don’t worry, we have jotted down some points for you to know the actual fact about raw cat food. Have a look.
Benefits of best raw cat food
- More natural than dry or wet food:
No one can deny the fact that raw food is much more natural for cats to consume. Looking at the teeth of a cat reveals that they have got the necessary settings to catch, kill, and eat small prey. So, feeding them with what they are naturally designed to have makes sense. Doesn’t it? However, we also can’t deny that cats have been in the habit of having cooked food in their diet. They have made their body used to the human prepared food which is why well-fed cats tend to live more than their wild counterparts.
- Can keep the urge of hunger in control:
Protein as we all know is very filling and raw meat is a complete source of protein. So, feeding your cat with raw meat means they will feel full. This is great for cats having uncontrollable hunger. Less eating also means less risk to obesity which is a serious health problem. However, raw cat foods is not the ultimate hack to curb the excess hunger needs in your cats.
- Aids for better skin/coat and energy levels:
As said before, raw feeders claim that feeding cats on raw foods has resulted in increasing their energy levels. Also, it has been seen that consumption of raw food can lead to better skin for your cat. However, changing diet may cause some problems for your cat’s health. So, it is always advised to consult a vet before making any changes.
- Supports better teeth for your cat:
Studies show that cats that eat raw food have healthier teeth. The reason being the bones present in the raw food that keeps the cat’s teeth clean of plaque and tartar. But cleaner teeth do not always mean healthy teeth. So, you need to be cautious. Nevertheless, cats fed on raw diet have cleaner teeth and fewer foul-smelling issues.
How much raw food to feed a cat?
What amount of raw food is good for your cat? The answer to this question can be a game-setter or game-changer. So, it’s important to have an idea about the amount.
We recommend feeding raw food to your cat in moderation. This way your cat can get the essential protein and lower the risk of any disease transmission.
Side-effects of raw cat food
- Raw food can’t provide the exact nutrition your cat needs:
This means that raw meats have different textures and nutrient content which can lead to unbalanced nutrition in your cat, thereby becoming a cause of certain diseases in cats.
- Raw food can contain harmful bacteria:
Ever wondered why humans eat cooked food? Because raw food contains pathogens that are harmful to the body and can cause various diseases. Similarly, when cats start consuming raw food regularly, they too invite the risk of various diseases which certainly is not good.
Best Raw Cat Food
Have a look at our pick for the best raw cat foods.
- Stella & Chewy’s Raw Dinner Morsels:
- Contains 98% cage-free chicken
- Crafted in small batches in the USA to provide the highest levels of protein-rich meat
- CANIDAE Freeze-Dried Raw Dry Cat Food:
- Freeze-dried, raw-coated
- Contains omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E for healthy skin and coats
- Primal Freeze-Dried Cat Food:
Primal Freeze-Dried Cat Food$31.99
- Naturally-derived vitamins and minerals
- Contains no soy, grain, gluten, corn, or wheat
- Instinct Raw Boost Dry Cat Food:
- Contains high-protein kibble and freeze-dried, wild-caught raw salmon
- No preservatives, artificial colors, grain, potato, corn, wheat, or soy
- Nulo Freestyle Freeze-Dried Raw Food:
- Contains 98% turkey and duck organs and bone
- Grain-free and filler-free
Raw cat food: The verdict
Though there are many benefits of raw food, these benefits have still not been proven. Secondly, there is a risk of disease getting transmitted from animal to humans, the disease which is caused in animals by having excess raw food, and these diseases are fatal.
Therefore, it’s better to supply raw cat foods keeping a check on your cat’s behavior.