You can actually make good cat food at home yourself by using some flavoring and ground meat. Make sure you avoid mixing in substances that are harmful for cats or those that are toxic in nature. Here is what you will need:
- Meat grinder
- Cat food
- Diet cat food
- Internet access
- Pet vitamins
Here is what you should do:
- Remember that certain things are not good for your cat. While making your own cat food avoid things like chocolate, pork and bacon, onions, raw eggs, raw fish, milk and bones. All of these can affect your cat.
- Do not give it dog food. Cats need up to five times the amount of protein a dog does. Therefore dog food will just not suffice. For the same reason you should not try and turn your cat into a vegetarian.
- Tuna has a high amount of mercury in it so keep a limit on the amount you use.
- Do not give it too much Vitamin A. If you are giving your cat Vitamin A supplements then limit the amount of liver or don’t use it at all.
- You can use cat food recipes that you get off the internet. Look for those that have high protein content.
- Use a small amount of vegetables.
- Try making this one: Put 4 oz. meat, two (cooked) eggs, 1 tablespoon each of carrot, cottage cheese and sunflower oil. Remember that the meat should be cooked too.
- Add flavorings like kelp powder to the meat you cook for your cat. A small quantity of dairy can be used. Do not put in too much milk or use lactose-free milk if possible.
- Use some quantity of dry commercial cat food and mix it with ingredients at home so that your cat can get used to eating home-made cat food.
Notes: Talk to your vet about pet vitamins and diet supplements. Don’t keep cooked cat food for too long in your fridge – about three days are enough. Steer clear of foods that are toxic.